MELBOURNE, May 3 - Catholic Education Melbourne executive director Stephen Elder said Tuesday's "Quality Schools" announcement was "a direct attack on Catholic parish primary schools".
"Under the government's plans, parents at these schools will be expected to pay similar fees to those charged by elite independent institutions," Elder said in a statement on Wednesday.
"Not only is this a direct attack on parent choice. It means schools face the grim reality of significantly raising fees or cutting programs."
The Catholic Education Commission of Victoria submitted a report to the state government earlier this year with concerns about the way school funding was distributed.
He said the model "short-changed" Catholic schools and overestimated how much families could afford in fees.