About this job
This position will work from the Gladstone Regional Office and and will collaborate with community, government and Early Chilhdood and Education services to increase Kindergarten participation within the Gladstone area. Some travel will be required.
As the Community Education Counsellor (Identified) you will have responsibility for the following:
- Provide educational counselling and support services to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children and students across a number of schools.
- Participate in the development of activities, in and out of school, likely to enhance the involvement in education of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their families.
- Develop and undertake support service programs designed to meet the needs of the school/s that will encourage the educational participation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children and students.
- Establish and maintain links with out of school sources of information and support services to assist in the advancement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and students.
- Provide information to the school community about Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander social and cultural perspectives.
- Utilise, in an accountable manner, state and commonwealth funded school based programs that focus on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students and communities.
- Provide advice and information to school administrators regarding Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander social and cultural protocols in order to meet the needs of schools and their communities.
- Ensure that relevant information concerning Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander social and cultural issues is readily available to all members of the school community.
- Participate in activities to develop productive partnerships between members of the school community.
A mandatory requirement of this role is:
- For this position, it is a genuine occupational requirement that it be filled by an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander person as set out in Section 7 of the Anti Discrimination Act 1991 for the purposes contained in Section 25 of that Act.
To apply please attach the following:
- a brief resume including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- responses to the online questionnaire (the questionnaire will open after you have clicked apply and entered your personal details.)
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.
Employees affected by workplace change will be considered on merit.